NOTICE: You are viewing a page of the openwetware
wiki. Our "dewikify" feature makes a wiki page appear as a normal web page. In March 2017, this feature will GO AWAY and this URL will redirect to the source URL on our wiki. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
PI: Tom Knight
EHS Representative: Reshma Shetty
Answer yes, no or N/A to all questions
Environmental: Hazardous Waste: Satellite Accumulation Areas (SAA)
- Is all hazardous waste stored in the satellite accumulation area (SAA)?
- Are the satellite accumulation areas (SAAs) clearly labeled?
- Are the SAAs located at or near the point of hazardous waste generation and under the control of a responsible person (PI and/or the person generating the waste)?
- Are the hazardous waste containers in the SAAs in good condition?
- Are all hazardous waste containers in the SAA provided with secondary containment?
- Is each secondary containment in the SAA intact?
- Are the hazardous waste containers in the SAA properly labeled?
- Are all full hazardous waste containers in the SAA dated?
- Are the dates of all hazardous waste containers in the SAA less than 4 days?
- Is there only one hazardous waste container per waste stream in the SAA?
- Are the hazardous waste containers in the SAA firmly CLOSED except when waste is being added?
- Are aisles and exit doors clear and accessible?
- Are emergency showers, fire extinguishers, spill kits and other emergency equipment accessible?
- Are eyewashes checked routinely (weekly) or are eyewash bottles within expiration date?
- Are occupants wearing safety glasses, lab coats, or appropriate gloves/PPE while working with potentially hazardous materials?
- Is there any evidence of eating or drinking in the laboratory?
- Is the bottom slot of the chemical fume hood unobstructed?
- Is work within the chemical fume hood done at least 6 inches from the front of the hood?
- Are bags of solid biological waste (petri dishes, gloves, Falcon tubes, etc.) in appropriate biohazardous waste collection containers ?
- Are full clear bags of solid biological waste properly identified as biological waste?
- Have full bags of solid biological waste been autoclaved and have autoclave tags been attached to the bags?
Hazardous Materials Storage
- Are gas cylinders secured (chained)?
- If chemicals are stored on the floor, are they within secondary containers?
- Are containers for holding or dispensing hazardous chemicals or materials adequately labeled?